20 July 2011

It's Hot Out There!!!

     Some days are better than others.  Take for instance yesterday.  Though weather.com reported the temperature being 85 degrees with a heat index of 91, a weak cool front coming off the lake brought a refreshing breeze and a dense fog bringing the temperature down to the mid 70s!

     What a great reprieve from the summer heat!  I finished 4.31 miles feeling so good that I wanted to run more, but to maintain my training schedule, I refrained from going any further.

     Then, there are other days -- like today.

     Waking up, I just wasn't feeling up to running, but I pushed myself to do it.  With no cool front and no fog, the temp was somewhere in the mid 80s with a heat index in the 90s, and today, you could feel it.  The sun was merciless, but even before the heat could beat me down, my own body betrayed my ambition.  My legs felt stiff and my feet were like slabs of granite, heavy and inflexible.  I may as well have been running through oatmeal.  It didn't take long for the heat to become a factor as the degrees seemed to rise with every arduous step.  I stopped frequently for water not only to drink, but to douse myself with.  This wasn't training.  This was trial by fire!  The smart thing to do would have been to cut my distance short a bit, but I had already made it 4.7 miles and I just needed to finish 5.  On sheer will, I took the last quarter mile with the heat index somewhere in the upper 90s.

     Just because it's summer, doesn't mean you can just stay indoors, and why would you even want to?  Whatever you're doing out there, have fun, but be careful.  Active.com has some great tips for enjoying the summer sun.  Just a few tips for runners:
- Take it easy - You may not be able to run as far or as fast as you usually do.  Get acclimated to the weather, but know when not to push it.
- Hydrate! - Water and/or sports drinks are necessary to survive the heat.
- Listen to your body - Know the signs of dehydration and heat exhaustion.  If you feel  nauseous, heart palpitations, or light headed, STOP!!  And be on the lookout for fellow runners who may be in danger.
- HYDRATE!!!

     So, slap on some sunscreen and enjoy the weather before another winter comes along with its own set of challenges ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment