16 July 2011

10 miles. It feels good!

     I really should have woken up earlier, but 9:30 am is still good start for a Saturday 10 miler.  Weather.com tells me it's 78 degrees outside, and glancing out the window I see cloudy skies.  I prepare for a morning in the low 80s by dressing light: Nike running singlet and ASICS seamless compression shorts under 5 inch Nike running shorts.  Footwear is a toss up between Vibram Komodos and Merrell Trail Gloves.  I opt for the Vibrams as I am curious how they will feel on a long run.  Before the Komodos, I tried the KSOs.  I liked them, but they repeatedly gave me blisters even after a break in period, only getting worse.  The Komodo Sports thus far have been great.  The inside boasts a stitch-free, seamless footbed reducing friction and the risk of developing blisters, a HUGE selling point for me.  I love seamless.  On one wrist, my Garmin Forerunner 405, and on the other sits my Road ID bracelet.  I bring along a CamelBak water bottle to maintain adequate hydration, important on long, warm runs.

     My route takes me north along Chicago's lovely Lakefront Trail.  Weekend mornings along the lake are inspiring seeing all the people exercising.  Some run, others cycle and/or swim.  There is even a group intensely involved in a bootcamp workout backdropped by volleyballers on the beach.  An environment like this makes it easy to want to go out and get a good sweat going.  Many days, the call to be out there is maddening, especially when condemned to confinement indoors for hours.

     The miles pass easily at first.  They're actually rather enjoyable.  I try to pace myself to ensure that I have the energy to make it through, but what I've noticed since the first time I ran in a barefoot type shoe, is that foot turnover is quicker.  Something to keep in mind when attempting to maintain a pace that will hold you till the end of the run.  Around mile 7, a few rays of sunlight break through the clouds and I feel the temperature rise and my strength fall.  As I make mile 8, I look over to the people swimming laps along the lakeshore.  I'm wanting desperately to jump into the lake and feel the cooling water surround me.  My longing looks toward the water continue for a mile, and every splash seen is a cruel taunt.  I'm almost at my finish line for today, and I can almost taste the satisfaction of completing this run.  To my frustration, the last mile is made slow and tedious by a narrow path crowded with cyclists, runners, and tourists.  The last quarter mile opens up, and I'm given the chance to finish strong.

     10 is such a nice number, and to complete 10 miles is even nicer.  Crossing this "finish line," there are no cheering crowds, no smiling pictures taken, and no medals given.  There is only the joy of accomplishment and the promise of a longer run to come.  Truly a fine reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment