15 August 2011

L.S.D. in the Rain



     At last, without any hindrance of time or weather, I finished my 14 mile run on Saturday.  It must have been over a year since I've clocked that much distance, and I'm relieved to be getting back to where I was, albeit slowly.  The weather was cool, probably in the mid to low 70s.  It had been raining for much of the afternoon, and continued on for the first 3 miles.  I like running in the rain -- the smell of it on the wind and it's slow, soothing trail down my face keeps my senses active and my focus acute.  For 8 miles, I loved the run and the run loved me.  Somewhere around mile 9, the struggle began, but I pushed through to reach 14.

     The following day, I ran 5 miles.  For all my runs last week, including the consecutive 14 and 5 miler, I used my Sockwa G2s, one of the most minimal barefoot shoes on the market.  I recently gave some advice on how to ease into barefoot shoes and running to a friend, and CNN.com posted an article on how to break in Vibram Five Fingers (link to CNN article).  Perhaps I should have listened to my own advice, because both my feet are now sore and the left foot is in severe pain forcing me to limp around -- only for today I hope.  With all the miles I've been able to put on my Merrell Trail Gloves, I didn't think I would have any issues.  I felt the creeping pain from the punishing pavement 10 miles into the 14 miler, but how could I stop so close to the end?  I'm going to have to really strengthen my feet or consider running long distances in a more substantial shoe reserving my barefoot styles for shorter, quicker runs.  

     Good running this week, everyone.  I hope my feet can hold up and I can join you.  Thank goodness today is a rest day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment