10 August 2011

Gear Geek: Merrell Trail Glove




     For many people, Vibram Five Fingers either don't fit right or people just can't get over how they look. A great alternative is Merrell's barefoot line. The Vibram sole features a 0 mm foot drop between heel and toe.  The mesh upper of the trail gloves offers plenty of breathability and comfort. A wide toe box allows toes to splay which aids in coordinating muscle contraction in the midfoot upon contact.  And, best of all, they look like shoes!!!!

     Though I have been running in the trail gloves since they were released a few months ago, I did my first long run in them 2 weeks ago. That week's training total was 28 miles with a long run of 12 miles, and I did each run with Merrells. The shoe is designed to be worn sockless, and while I was able to do this on some short runs, I don't recommend it for everyone. On a 4 miler early that week, I went sockless on a very hot day. As sweat started to really develop, I began to feel friction on the top of my foot on the joint before my big toe. The result was a 1 cm blister on each foot at the exact same location. This may not happen to everyone, but I advise wearing socks. With socks on feet for the rest of my runs that week, I completed my goals feeling great!



     I like Merrell shoes, and their barefoot line is no exception. I love the feel of the ground and the flexibility of the shoes. Merrell has quite a few models in the barefoot collection for men, women, and children. In addition to the Trail Gloves, I also have the Tough Gloves with a leather upper. These are good to wear to work especially if you want to run afterwards and don't want to bother with bringing an extra pair or shoes. They are also useful if you need to run to catch the morning train. I have hiked in both the Trail and Tough gloves and they have worked very well. If you are interested in getting a pair (or two), 


     I advise trying them on first. While Merrell makes wonderful shoes, their sizing to me always seems different. If you are a member of REI, you can buy them, run in them, and if you don't like, return them. No worries about getting stuck with a $100+ shoe you really can't use.  The Merrell Trail Glove retails for $110.  Also, Runner's World Magazine reports that Merrell will add what I'm assuming is a road running shoe called the Road Glove to their line up on February 1, 2012.  Can't wait to get those!  A picture of the Road Glove taken at the Outdoor Retailer Trade Show in Salt Lake City, Utah is available on the Runner's World Magazine Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment