12 August 2011

Free From The Heat

     If you read the previous corresponding entry, you know last weekend I took my training to Texas where afternoon high temperatures averaged in the 100s.  For my Saturday long run, I didn't wake up at 4 A.M. or 5 A.M. -- or 6 A.M.  7 A.M. is when my feet hit the floor and I get ready to run.  Even this early in the morning the temperature is already in the 80s and the sun is high above the trees.  The added heat index and humidity means I'm drenched in sweat before I finish the first mile.  The temperature increased fast and I got slower having to stop multiple times to choose my direction, drink water, and to find shelter in the shade of a tree.  Hydration became critical as my water bottle was emptying quickly, so I did what I had to and filled it with water from the sprinkler of someone's house.  They looked stunned.  My 14 mile goal turned into a desperate mission just to make it home.  Scorched by heat and on exhausted legs, I make it to my front door only finishing 10 miles.  

     I returned to Chicago this week resetting my training for the 3rd time to achieve my 3 week training calendar goals.  Happily, I step outside and the temperature is a blissful 75 degrees with highs in the low 80s.  It feels great.  

     This week I also begin a 2 week evaluation of the Sockwa G2, a barefoot type shoe.  Look for my complete review around the end of August.  Till then, I've done a 3, 4, and 5 mile run in my Sockwa G2s, and so far they feel great!  With a sole 1.7mm thick, you feel everything on the road, but there's one thing I realize.  Just because I can feel what I'm stepping on, doesn't mean it's hurting me.  At first, I mentally winced at every tiny pebble I stepped on.  Then, I discovered that I wasn't actually experiencing pain from it.  I was just aware of what was beneath my feet.  Still, if you're running in barefoot shoes, watch out for what you step on.  Large, jagged surfaces will hurt!  



     Wherever you may be, run long and prosper, but if it's really hot where you are, take measures to ensure a good, safe run.  Don't be afraid to make use of a neighbor's sprinklers either!

No comments:

Post a Comment