25 November 2011

Gear Geek: Merrell Sonic Glove



The Merrell Sonic Glove is essentially all the great things about the Trail Glove.  You have the Vibram sole and 0mm heel drop.  However, instead of mesh, the upper is composed of a flexible, breathable, water resistant softshell upper.  The shape and fit of the Sonic Glove is exactly the same  as the Trail Glove.  Some might find the stiffness of the softshell material uncomfortable.  My first couple of runs, the upper above my toes felt like the crease created with each toe off was digging into my skin, but that feeling disappeared completely after maybe two more runs.  The women's version called the Lithe Glove is designed like the men's edition.  Unlike the women's Pace Glove, the Lithe lacks the elastic material at the back of the ankle making the Lithe identical to its male counterpart.  This design has some Lithe users complaining of irritation in the area of the ankle.  My experience was similar when I first used my Trail Gloves, but I haven't had any issues since.  I've used the Sonic Glove for casual wear and running.  I haven't put any serious mileage on these yet, but I can testify to their water resistance.  


During Halloween weekend, New York was hit with a freak snow storm.  The following day, I took a short run through Central Park, and the Sonic Gloves kept the slush and mud out leaving my feet nice and dry.  The Sonic Glove looks to be a capable shoe for the fall and winter months when the streets and trails can get soggy.  If I have anything else to add, I'll post more later as I put more miles on these, but for now, the Merrell Sonic Glove gets two thumbs up and a smile!  



No comments:

Post a Comment