19 September 2011

New Personal Best Distance 20 Miles and Gear Geek Look at The North Face Enduro Boa

The entire week leading up to my 20 mile run was a mental preparation. While most of that time was spent dreading Saturday (seriously, how many people are afraid of Saturday coming? WTF!?), Friday night and early Saturday morning was spent planning. One of the most important preparations I had to make, hydration and nutrition during the run. I'd be out there for a few hours, so how do I maintain my intake over that time? My solution, The North Face Enduro Boa hydration pack.

I have never used a hydration pack before and was a little apprehensive about running with a pack for hours. After a little research, I decided on the Enduro Boa. It's harness type design, differing from traditional backpack straps, was very comfortable. The unconventional system redistributes weight "across the upper body; holding weight at the sternum instead of under the arms." I found the pack easy to adjust to my body and very comfortable over the 4 hours it took me to finish 20 miles. Two removable waste strap pockets carried essential GU and stuff. A nice sized main compartment carried a vest and arm warmers to counter any drop in temperature, but could easily carry more which really comes in handy on long runs where weather changes or night becomes day and vice versa. My run started just before sunset and ended in a colder, windy Chicago evening, so it pays to be prepared. The 1.5 liter hydration bladder was more than adequate as I still had half a pack full of homemade Gatorade left after I finished. What's homemade Gatorade? A little fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt, sugar, and a whole lot of water. Somehow, it didn't turn out so bad! Overall, The North Face Enduro Boa is a great investment at $120 for distance runners. Moosejaw.com makes it an even better buy at $99. Wish I saw that first. Only problem I have with it is that the Velcro closure on the waist belt catches on my running shirt. I have a few ideas to remedy this, so I'll let you know what works if anything does.

After completing my 20 miler, my legs hurt like crazy, but the next day, my legs felt fine. A little tired, but good enough to run. Though it took a great amount of physical effort, it took much more mental effort to make it to the end. Conquering new challenges is intimidating, but with a little confidence and self motivation, anyone can cross that finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment