19 April 2012

Boston Envy


     Watching the Boston Marathon on TV last Monday, I couldn't help but imagine that one day I'd be able to run the historic race.  One day.
     In the meantime, Nike Running created the Marathon Challenge to Nike+ users to run 26.2 miles between April 13-17.  Overall, I completed 38.86 miles.  First place finished 76.89 miles.  Nice job!
     Looking at the qualifying times for the Boston Marathon, and then glancing at my times, then back again, I think to myself, "I'll never make that time."  Just before I begin to accept my weaknesses, I remember that once upon a time not so long ago I didn't think I'd be able to run 3 miles, but I did.  Then, I didn't think I'd be able to run 6, but I did.  I'd never be able to run 13.1, but I did, many times.  In January, I finished my first marathon, and now, I'm looking at the schedules of upcoming ultramarathons.
     For all of you starting to run or considering running, it may be hard at first and you may feel you can't do it, but you'll surprise yourself with what you can accomplish and overcome.  Good running and I'll see you -- at the starting line.

No comments:

Post a Comment